Thursday, January 22, 2009

Reliving My Youth

You might as well slap braces on my teeth and tight roll my jeans because I look like a teenager again. When I said I wanted to appear more youthful - this is so not what I had in mind.
The amoxicillin I was taking for my dental abscess went a little gung-ho in the killing department. It waged war on the delicate balance of flora (insert correct full medical term here) in my skin. In other words I broke out in a heinous case of acne. My forehead came first then my neck. It's on my back. I have backne! Backne. Gross. A patch that I am too scared to quantify is on my forehead, a few on my chin, one by my nose. Every time I look in the mirror there's a new one. I can hide a fair bit from sight with a turtleneck - thankfully it's been below freezing and no one is the wiser. And I trimmed up some bangs to camouflage the forehead a little. Ugh. I can feel the stares from friends and strangers. "OMG! Does she not practice good hygiene?" I see it in their eyes, they're not fooling me. And with my luck I will cross paths with all my exes and my plans of "look what you missed out on, sucker" will be ruined. Trust me, you think I want to go out in public. I'd rather hide in a cave until this all passes.
Thanks to my wise and possibly younger than me doctor, I am now armed to fight back and restore the balance in my flora, or whatever he called it. I have benzoyl peroxide face wash. Then an erythromycin liquid - it comes in a little bottle with an applicator and looks like a bingo stamper! I did tonight's dosage a little while ago. I bingo stamped all the offensive spots. Out, out damned spot. Okay, not quite like that. But really, it all needs to restore to its previous ways where all my pores were happy and I only had to worry about those small wrinkles and grey hairs. Enough with the rewind to adolescence.

No comments: