Last Wednesday I had a cavity filled on tooth #12 (the first molar next to the eye tooth on the top left for those unfamiliar with the dental numbering system). It was the first time I had seen this dentist at the practice. I now call her Dr. Random because she makes very straightforward statements that sort of leave you hanging. During her drilling she remarked, "Hmm, that's deeper than I thought it was." And that was all she said about it.
Yesterday I found that I couldn't open my mouth all the way and my jaw was a little sore. Adrian said it was swollen, but I didn't really notice. I called this morning and went back to see Dr. Random. Without looking in my mouth she pulls out her prescription pad. I was ordered to fill prescriptions for amoxycillin and Tylenol with codeine ASAP. She came and went from the exam room several times. The assistant took an x-ray. During a moment of boredom on her part, I think, she did confirm swelling on the inside of my mouth. Then she reappeared later to make a random statement, "If the swelling gets noticeably worse, go to the emergency room." Before I could really ask for elaboration, she disappeared again. She and another dentist looked at the x-ray (against the fluorescent ceiling light). Dr. Random told me to go up front to pick up my appointment card for my root canal next Tuesday. So there you have it, my deep cavity led to an infection and a root canal.
Oh, and by the way, I did get my prescriptions filled at Target on my way back to work. I calculated that for each minute spent waiting for them is equal to a dollar on merchandise at the store. Target must use special impulse buying chemicals in their ventilation system. I'm sure of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment