I reclaimed my dining room from Nicholas. We used to share it for crafting and art. His supplies began to outnumber mine and he wasn't much for organization or putting things away. I kicked him out. More to come on his new studio and play room later. It's not quite done yet.
I finally stained the TV stand we bought 9 years ago. I really enjoy staining furniture. It takes such patience and concentration that I can totally get lost in it. And I love the results. I always end up thinking to myself, "Why didn't I do this years ago?" But now here it sits, repurposed as my craft storage cabinet.
And since gaining room to sew again I tried to make something I can wear, as opposed to the various pillows and stuffed animals - except that adorable kids' snuggie last month - which she wears in the car over her carseat straps, an idea the patent owners never considered.
I tried to mimic a skirt I already own and like a lot. I did spend half a day looking at the fabric and scared to death to start cutting it. (I ate barbecue chips and chocolate ice cream to deal with the emotions.) It took a couple of tries - I love my seam ripper so so much. And I found a new best friend called bias tape. Total life saver. It's not perfect, the side with the zipper is a little bumpy. For my first attempt at clothing, I'm pleased. And I will try it again, maybe following a different skirt in my closet.
(The totally awesome late 1960s bath tile really makes the colors pop!)
4 comments:
The TV stand looks great! And your skirt looks great, too! Too bad you can't bring the color-coordinated bathroom tile with you as a backdrop.
I love it! You did a good job for your first try. Awesome.
nice work. i highly recommend the book 'sew what? skirts!' it gives you the tools to make your own patterns. though it looks like your doing just fine as it is!
My zipper on my first skirt is pretty bumpy, too. My fabric was kind of stretchy, and I think I stretched it too much! Your skirt looks great, though-- I love the cool flowers. =)
Your little craft cabinet is very cute! You could make it even more obvious that it's a craft cabinet with a bit of stenciling, if you ever got really crazy. Hehehe. I do NOT enjoy staining furniture at all, but I enjoy the results. That's probably because the only thing I've ever stained was a set of dining room chairs that took us years (I'm not kidding) to finish because we hated the little spindly bits so much. I guess it was more the sanding that I hated... still, Jack and I avoid unfinished furniture like the plague now. ;)
Post a Comment