Tuesday, May 5, 2009

It Always Happens to Me

I must have bad karma, like I stood up a lot of guys on dates or something. I'm not sure what makes these things happen to me. All the time. I almost come to expect it now. I am not one to raise my voice, plead for my money back. I just accept it and wait for it to happen again.

Like the time I finally got around to going to my running club. On the day that no one else decides to go. I end up looking like a loser standing around waiting to run. With no one.

Or that time I went to the dentist to get my permanent crown put on. Except it hadn't been delivered yet. And they forgot to tell me that when they reminded me of my appointment the day before. So I sat and read a magazine, waiting for nothing. I accepted their apologies as if rearranging the whole take the kids to school routine was no biggie.

Today I managed to get a haircut scheduled before my favorite girl goes on vacation. She's almost never free in the evenings. Score, I thought. I checked-in. Found the most recent issue of People - the one with the world's most beautiful people. Her previous appointment checked out, late of course. I waited to be called. Granted, I will give the benefit of the doubt to avoid looking like a witch. Maybe she had to go to the bathroom really bad or needs to clean up her station. I continue to read. Done with my magazine and 30 minutes past my time, I ask one of the girls if I can book another time. My hands are shaking. I don't do confrontation. I try to be polite and act like it's no big deal I sat in their comfy chair reading a magazine. On my way home in the pouring rain and tornado warnings, my girl calls my cell phone. She claims the previous girl was named Joleena which looked so similar to my name, Joanna, and thought she was done for the day. Hmmm. Close. Starts the same, ends the same. Possible mistake. She promised a big discount when she gets back from vacation. I'll forgive her this one, since she is my favorite. And ponytails are in season, so I'll just do that for a couple weeks, right?

No comments: