Saturday, December 6, 2008

Lucky Day - So Far

As promised, my mission was to go to a store today and get more lights to correct the hedgerow fiasco. Adrian headed off to an all day lacrosse thing in Durham. So I got the boys and myself dressed and ready. We were at Home Depot before 9 am! I got 2 boxes of clear lights to go in place of the LED in the pattern Adrian created. We picked up a three foot stake of Nicholas's choice. It has Santa's sleigh and says "Merry Christmas" on it. On our way to the check out an employee mentioned the Kids Workshop in the back of the store. I had no idea it was happening so we went to investigate. I registered both boys, it was free and no age limit. They received kid size Home Depot aprons with their names on it. Little stations were set up with overturned buckets for seats, plywood tables, safety goggles and hammers. We built two table top easels to display their artwork. How fun, and such a random lucky occurence.

Nicholas modeling his apron and showing how the pockets hold his tools perfectly. And don't forget safety goggles. Safety first, never last.

We've been in this house for eight years. This is the first time we've decorated outside for the holidays. You can see the fake wreath Adrian purchased. Totally worth the money because I don't have to figure out how to adorn it. We've always had these baskets flanking the entryway and they're usually empty yearround. Since our house is south-facing, I can't put flowers in them because they would roast all day in the full sun. I decided to get creative and filled them with pine clippings, berries, and pine cones. All of these are readily available in vast quantities in my front yard. I think they turned out rather nice.


1 comment:

erica said...

The Home Depot kids' workshop thing sounds awesome! I'm sure Nicholas loved it, and those aprons are pretty fun.

The baskets on your house look great with the seasonal adornments!