Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Not a Happy Place

We (the boys and me) stopped by Whole Foods on the way home to pick up our pre-ordered Thanksgiving dinner. Yes, my time is that valuable. There was no holiday love at that store. Oh my goodness. Complete insanity. The one in Raleigh is teeny-tiny with a teeny-tiny parking lot with teeny-tiny parking spaces. It seems there is a big running race this weekend and people were doing early check-in at the running store next to Whole Foods, too. We parked a reasonable distance from the entrance to the store. Apparently the rule of yielding to pedestrians was tossed aside today, especially the one applying to pedestrians carrying a child and holding hands with another child. My adorable son stopped to smell all the flowers right by the door. Who am I to stop him, I thought it was awesome that he could be oblivious to the craziness and stop to smell the flowers. Once you're inside and you have to locate the check-in for pre-orders and put your life is at risk. People pushing their teeny-tiny shopping carts will ram right into you and your loved ones. We survived the collection of our order (the lady was giving away free truffles while you wait) and got in a check-out line. That went fairly smooth (thanks friendly cashier girl!). Back out to the evil parking lot. We jumped the shopping cart off the curb (a convenient slope couldn't be found) and again not being yielded to got back to our car. People actually waited with turn signals flickering while I loaded the trunk. Now what did they think was going to happen to my shopping cart? I never ever just leave my cart, and as you can probably assume, a cart return is only located by the store entrance. Ugh. Hike ourselves to the cart return and back to the car. Finally we are buckled in and squeeze out of our teeny-tiny parking space while yielding to pedestrians. I am thankful for my pre-cooked Thanksgiving dinner. And thankful for my parents teaching me all the proper and polite ways to behave in the parking lot. I am hopeful that all the crazy shoppers I encountered today will slow down and enjoy this Thanksgiving holiday. Really, people, just take it easy out there!

1 comment:

erica said...

Man. It does seem like some people's Thanksgivings are just about checking all their stuff off a list, doesn't it? I'm glad you got home safely and managed to enjoy a few things on the trip-- that's what it's all about when you're feeling all that pressure coming at you from crazy people! Happy Thanksgiving!!