Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What's On Your Nightstand?


1. George Orwell 1984 - Stopped reading because it required brain power which I don't have at the end of the day.
2. Laurie Notaro We Thought You Would Be Prettier - I've read it multiple times and go back to random chapters. Hysterical, I tell you. I loaned Idiot Girls Action Adventure Club to a good friend. It was almost like my life story in some chapters. More of her books are on my Amazon wish list - hint, hint.
3. Inside Lacrosse magazine - I wanted to read about the real Mikey Powell. He's cute and there must be more to him than just a professional athlete/musician.

What you can't see under that stack...
A few MAD magazines - Who doesn't love a good laugh to get rid of the day's stress?
Ben Hogan Five Lessons The Modern Fundamentals of Golf - Great for monotone reading to calm a baby back into sleep mode.
Anne Tyler Digging to America - Love her writing. I have tons of her books. She's from Raleigh but most of her stories take place in and around Baltimore. I enjoy being able to picture the real place in my mind. You may remember her from The Accidental Tourist.

Adrian found my assortment of reading materials odd. I have explanations for all of it as you can see. It did get me thinking about the topic. What do other people keep on their nightstands? Commercials and catalogs show the standard alarm clock, glass of water, eye glasses, and maybe a knick knack or photo. When you go to other people's homes you usually don't get to peek at their nightstands. So am I weird? Or is everyone else just boring? If you don't mind, for my curiousity and maybe other readers' - what's on your nightstand?

1 comment:

erica said...

Hmm, my nightstand has a tiffany-style lamp, an alarm clock that I never need to set anymore (Kent functions beautifully as one nowadays), and various other Kent-related items, such as his bulb aspirator, his nail clippers, and his comb. I do all his grooming before bed or at other times of the day when we're by the bed, so all of that stuff just ended up there. There's also lavender pillow spray (for helping us relax and fall asleep), and, um, a lot of dust. Reading materials (mostly parenting mags and books) are by the base of my nightstand, next to a bin of Kent's books for his pre-bed story time. Basically, I could have just said that there's a lot of Kent on my nightstand. That would have covered it. =)