Friday, July 3, 2009

Changed for the Better...or Worse

After moments of reflection recently I have found that some things about me have changed. I don't know if anyone noticed or if I'm overanalyzing. I used to be known for remembering birthdays and mailing cards like clockwork. This was mostly for my nieces and nephews. I wanted to be the cool aunt and wanted them to feel extra special getting a card in the mail - sometimes it included a sheet of stickers! I was diligent with Thank You notes, too. And every now and then I would send random holiday cards, like Easter and Halloween. My Hallmark Gold Crown Card was my friend.

Several months ago I was feeling life rushing by. The boys were growing up way too fast right before my eyes. I didn't feel I was giving my full attention to their changes.

Around that same time my job role changed to hourly (from salary) and overtime was limited. That meant working in the evenings stopped. Perfect for me. I no longer had to get the boys to bed by 8 so I could log back on for a couple hours. I switched my running from evenings to mornings. Doing it in the evenings made things so rushed - dinner, bath, bed time. Getting up before the crack of dawn has worked out so much better, even if I am a little more tired at night. (When you're at work at 8:30 and realize you've already been up for 4 hours and ran 5 miles makes you feel like you rule the world.)

These changes of no working or running in the evenings has opened up more family time hanging out at the end of the day. We have dinner, baths, and play time before bed. I don't feel that urge to just put them to bed so fast. The boys have been staying up a little later than they had before. Nicholas has been watching less of his cartoons and more Travel Channel. He loves Man Vs. Food and Bizarre Foods. Learning about different cuisines and cultures is really interesting to him. We talk about where the host is, what he is eating and discuss whether or not we would also do it. He absorbs the information like a sponge. (I won't tell you about how he knows not to pee in the Amazon River. It's a guy thing and it isn't pretty.)

If you gave me a birthday present this year and didn't get a Thank You note yet, please know that I really am grateful for your gift. I have acknowledged it numerous times in my head (during my me-time when I run) but it hasn't made it to paper. Consider this a public blanket Thank You to everyone. And if you're wondering about the boys' school pictures. Well, they're cut up and sitting next to the stationery. That's as far as they got. Oh - plus I'd have to find time to get some 2 cent stamps. The rate hike left me unprepared. (And no, my errand boy did not buy Forever stamps)

Some of you with recent birthdays, I do know you had them and I *think* I sent you an e-card. Sometimes I think about doing something - sending an e-mail or an e-card - so many times that eventually I think I actually did it. I started a few birthday presents but they're next to the sewing machine waiting to be completed. One day hopefully before Christmas they will get out the door.

Please accept my apologies, I haven't forgotten about birthdays, holidays, thank yous. I mean to do all of it. But slowing down and adjusting my priorities have moved things around on the list. I'm enjoying being a mom and a wife a whole lot. We're having a blast here as a family. Maybe when they start wearing me down again, I'll lock myself in the bathroom with the unfinished birthday presents and Thank You cards.

1 comment:

erica said...

I think your focus is just where it needs to be. =) I'm horrible about birthdays, though, so maybe I'm just glad you're coming a little closer to my level. I get exactly what you mean about acknowledging them in your head, then not always making it to the computer to send a card or find/make a present.

Also, Forever stamps are the best idea ever. Definitely get some next time-- or have a talk with your errand boy about how you actually make money if you keep them long enough to endure another rate increase. ;)

Keep living your life the way you need to. I'm so happy to hear you talk this way, really-- Nicholas, Travis, and Adrian are all so lucky to have you.