Monday, April 6, 2009

Thanks Officer

I will need to create a label for "dumb things i've done" after today.

I had just left daycare with the boys. Driving behind a UPS delivery truck through a road work zone. The truck swerved, and I didn't have enough time or room. I went over the traffic cone. Much to my dismay I did not see it in my rearview mirror. Curses, curses, curses - silently of course.

I need to get off the road safely somewhere. I continue a little further just in case it comes loose on its own. I turn onto the on ramp because I need to get on that interstate anyway. The on ramp has a good size shoulder. Put my flashers on. Get out. Peek under the car. Sure enough - there's the blasted traffic cone hanging on to my rear axle. More curses.

Hah. As my karma turns around (probably for not saying bad words loud enough for my kids to hear) a police car is making a traffic stop right ahead of me. I call Adrian just in case the officer is not a nice man. Being doubtful of this town's police he starts heading my way just in case.

After the police officer takes his sweet time writing up that ticket, he puts his cruiser in reverse. Yeah! I explained the UPS truck and the cone I couldn't avoid. He makes an attempt to dislodge the cone. Gets back up and with a very determined expression, he asked me to pull forward a little without hitting his cruiser (because I wouldn't have seen the car with flashing lights?). I do as he says. He rolls around in on ramp shoulder gravel and dirt. At one point I even lost sight of him under the car. He gets the cone free! And tosses it over in the grass - just as Adrian pulls up! Classic.

We give him as many thank you's as we can. The officer does a completely illegal u-turn over the median and back down the ramp he went. And we head home.

What a lot of fun that was! I am so glad my car wasn't damaged by the cone. And that a nice officer risked getting his uniform dirty. And didn't come up with some crazy traffic violation to charge me with.

2 comments:

Bronwyn said...

I have both a "dumb things I've done" and "dumb things I've said" tag. I use them much more than I would like.

I think that's nice that the officer helped out. Restores one's faith in humanity. Somewhat.

erica said...

Heh, when I read "Thanks Officer" I thought you were going to say that he somehow came up with a reason to give you a ticket. I'm glad he helped you out-- and it's a good thing they make those cones flexible instead of making them out of cement!