Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy Not Yet 4th Birthday

Now that Nicholas is old enough to be keenly aware of his birthday and the awesomeness of celebrating it. Especially when it can be extended beyond just one day. Party planning leading up to the party which is 2 days before the actual birthday is getting him very excited.

Yesterday, St. Patrick's Day, marked the 4th anniversary of Nicholas's due date. I can remember exactly what I did that day when I was trying to encourage him to go ahead and make his entrance. It was a rainy day and a little cool. I went to the OB, not much was going on. It seemed he was a happy little camper hanging out in the baby house. They scheduled an ultrasound for the following week. I thought, really - you think I'm going to be like this for at least a week. I had tried almost every old wives' tale, moving furniture, eating spicy food, etc.

I was painting our guest room with all the windows open. I was told he was "fully cooked" and the fumes wouldn't be an issue. So anyways, Adrian was at work. I was painting away having a grand old time. Then a cop showed up at my door. He told me I had dialed 911. Surely, I would know if I had done that. He kept asking if I was sure I was okay.

I probably looked a little strange with a tie dye shirt stretched over my belly, shorts barely able to stay on, and paint splatters all over and clearly very, very pregnant. We concluded one of the cats had dialed 911. Yeah, sure thing officer. He made his way back to the patrol car. I went to look for a phone. There was no dial tone! I checked every extension in the house. Nothing was off the hook. I checked out the front door and the officer as driving off. Acck. Panic.

Why do I have no dial tone and cops are checking on me? I went straight to my car and called the phone company from my cell phone. According to them, when a phone line is cut at the street it dials 911. Some sort of Freddy Kruegger, Michael Myers, serial killer emergency system is my guess.

I totally decided that someone, a very bad and desperate person, wanted my fully cooked baby and they knew I was home alone and wanted to cut me open and take my baby. It's happened before, I saw it on the news. Really. I swear. The lady attacked her and tried to cut her open. And it was on CSI and the killer gave the baby to his sister to keep which she didn't question the origin of the baby because why would you question your psychopathic murdering brother about something like that.

What pregnant woman doesn't have paranoid delusions? It could totally have been true.

I called Adrian and kept him on the line while I searched the entire house, including closets and the crawlspace. Then I locked all doors and waited for him to come home. The phone company restored our connection at the street. It probably was just a dumb squirrel chewing on wires because they are dumb enough to eat things that aren't nuts.

In the end, those doctors were pretty much right. With threats of petocin, Nicholas decided to go ahead and make his way into the world on his own - 6 days later.

1 comment:

erica said...

What a crazy story! Someday, you can tell it to Nicholas on his birthday. LOL. =)

I would have been freaked out too, I think. Yeesh.