Thursday, November 19, 2009

Bite Wings and Blue Bucks

A couple of years ago I was trying to find a dentist for Nicholas. There was only one pediatric dentist who was in-network for Adrian's dental plan and the office was about 30 minutes away. She was also the dentist with the really cheesy and bi-lingual commercial on TV. Yo quiero blue bucks. Hablamos espanol. Obviously it was well done if it stuck in my memory. Children are rewarded with "blue bucks" if they are cooperative during their visit and at the end they trade the bucks in for small toys.
Now there are several dentists we could choose from but things are going fine where we are. And Travis was ready to start going too. The dentist cut back to part time because she keeps popping out babies so she brought two more dentists into the practice. Today we saw Dr. Betsy. She was very personable and also has a two year old child. This makes her awesome.
Nicholas was first. He had bite wing x-rays taken and I got to see his 6 year molars hiding below his gumline. It's hard to believe he's going to have 6 year molars one day soon. He sat there while his teeth were cleaned and counted. The hygienist even got to spray water and use the suction machine. (I hate that thing) The dentist pointed out a stain on one of his molars. I already knew it was there, but I'm happy it hasn't progressed further to become a cavity.
Then Travis was up. His first dental visit ever! He sat in the big reclining chair like he was an old pro, well, aside from wearing the sunglasses upside down. The hygienist was able to clean his teeth just like she did for Nicholas with no protests from Travis. Double awesome. The dentist showed me that he has a 2 year molar erupting. The other three aren't showing any signs of erupting yet. They will probably all come in all at once and make him very miserable.
In the end, the boys combined their blue bucks and selected a few stickers and a small can of generic booger color play dough.
When I picked up Travis from school his teacher said he had his best day in weeks. They didn't have to talk to him about hitting or biting at all today. And he even said some words. I offered to take him to the dentist everyday if that's what it takes.

1 comment:

erica said...

Hehe, that's awesome about Travis's first trip to the dentist and his good day afterward! I have yet to make Kent his first dentist appointment, but I think you're inspiring me here...