I had to document this before it fell to the wayside.
We were driving to Annapolis last weekend and solely relying on GPS to get us there. Garmin knew to route around Washington DC, but just barely. We followed the turn-by-turn directions. We cross the bridge and realize we are going to hit traffic and see DC. We made the most of the situation and start pointing out landmarks.
"Nicholas, see those cool three metal pointy things." (Really, I don't know what they are except giant metal tusks sticking out of the ground.) And the we point out the Washington Monument - described as the tall white thing with a pyramid on top. The Capital Building. And so on. Whatever sites we could make out from our vantage point and still pay attention to the dense traffic without getting too frustrated.
Then Nicholas says, "Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking?"
Our reply in unison, "Probably not."
He says, "I think we're in Washington DC."
I asked how he knew that. I don't remember his exact wording but it had something to do with watching the inauguration and that Washington DC is "Obama's town". I felt so proud. And we were fortunate to be snowed in on inauguration day so that we could watch as a family.
1 comment:
Good for him! What a great story. Civic responsibility at age 4... I love it. =)
Post a Comment