When we went to a local pumpkin patch last month we brought home lots of pumpkins. Several were painted, one was carved, and one was baked. I ended up with countless 1 cup bags of pumpkin puree in my freezer. I am just now getting around to making things with it. I hope to venture into the realm of pumpkin soups and other savory dishes. It will take some courage.
Recently a good friend of mine and co-worker was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. We think it's just unfortunate genetics, she's otherwise thin, healthy and somewhat active. She's been adjusting her diet and seems rather sad about some of the changes.
I reached out to my sister-in-law, which is cool to say because I only have one of those amongst a multitude of brothers-in-law, and asked her for a low sugar pumpkin cookie recipe. She pointed me to a great website and recipe here for pumpkin spice cookies. Of course I didn't have all the ingredients on hand. I had to pick up some whole wheat flour, raisins, and molasses with my regular weekly shopping. It was such an easy recipe to throw together. And they came out great. The texture is cake-like. One comment on the site equated them to muffin tops which is very accurate. No one would know they are low fat (no butter) and low sugar (only 1/3 cup light brown sugar). I didn't tell Adrian and he kept coming back for more.
I sent my friend a text and told her she had to come into work because I made a treat she could eat. She was so excited after suffering through an evening with her kids' youth group making s'mores but not eating them.
They were a fairly good hit at work. Pumpkin and spice isn't a favorite of everyone's. One lady didn't really like the cookie as a stand alone but thought it would work nicely as part of a whoopie pie. Now that might need some consideration and could work.
No comments:
Post a Comment