Monday, November 8, 2010

City of Hills, I mean Oaks

I signed up for City of Oaks Half Marathon back in the summer.  This was before one of my race buddies injured herself dancing at a wedding reception.  Then my local Y announced their fall season endurance running program.  This race was the goal race for the program.  Coincidence?  Maybe. 
I pursued the goal knowing I would be doing it alone.  A little awkward.  Hi!  I'm the loner girl wandering around pre-race with no friends.
Well technically I did know one person who would be there.  One of the girls I carpooled with in the 10 mile race.  She volunteered as a pace leader for the 2:20 group.  So the plan became: I should only see Amy before and after the race, but not during.
I arrived early to get a parking space.  I sat in my car to stay warm for as long as possible.  36 degrees is just a little chilly.  I made my way to the start line and chatted with Amy, as planned.  Then I made my way to the pace group I wanted to aim for.  For the first time ever I had my ipod for a race.  I only use one ear when I run just in case.  (I have only used an ipod for one training run - ever.)  And off we went.
Mile 1 - 10 seconds too fast
Mile 2 - 20 seconds too fast
Then my friend Steve is on a random street corner with his bike.  Yay!  A familiar face and a real spectator who shouts my name.
Things are moving along fine but there sure are a lot of hills. 
Halfway through the pace is averaging 15 seconds too slow.
By mile 8 I was not feeling great.  Muscles were good, no pain there.  I just wanted to puke, that's all.  I started taking short walk breaks, only about 50 - 100 feet.  And then I was off again at normal pace for another mile.  I tackled the remaining 5 miles like this.  It was manageable even though I was becoming really cranky with myself. 
I saw Steve again.  I told him I just wanted to finish and be done.  He assured me a PR was in the bag.  I was no longer checking my time.  I didn't care anymore.  The goal had passed long ago.  I told myself I was never doing another road race ever again.  The pressure to meet a time goal and set a PR was stupid.  I enjoy long training runs for the joy of running.  (I think is normal self-defeating thoughts processes that occur during long races.)
Going into Mile 12 passes the Y water stop.  Finally my people.  It was very uplifting to see people I knew.  I was much happier.   I wanted to tell the random lady next to me, "those are my people." 
Mile 13 - Yes!  The final mile.  Something took over.  Those walk breaks had allowed me to build up a reserve of unknown strength.  And I suddenly remembered - I get a medal!  I think this mile was my fastest of the whole race.  No one passed me.  I was picking off people left and right.  Rob Zombie is a good motivator.  Finally...done...thank god it was over.  Got my medal.  Got a bottle of water, banana, and bagel quarter.  I waited for Amy to come in with her pace group.  That part of the plan did work out.  And I did have a new PR on a much more difficult course too.  So it wasn't all bad.  I'm sure I could've done better if I hadn't let those evil self-defeating voices take over and allowed myself to be comfortable with nausea.  Maybe there will be another time.  Or maybe not.

1 comment:

Fast Leopard said...

Good story and good race. Road races are about running fast. Trail races are about the adventure. P.R.'s need not apply. The mind is your worst enemy. Just run faster when you have negative thoughts!