One of my fears while running is being chased by a dog. I hear them barking as I come near and I hope they're behind a fence. I'm not a big dog lover, they just don't do it for me. Very high maintenance.
I was out for my long run on Saturday. Within the first mile I could hear a dog behind me with his metal tags clanging. I stopped and ordered him to "go home!" and pointed back to where we came from. He just looked at me. He was kind of cute, just a pup. A white huskie or something like that - if I had to guess a breed. I was like, fine, I'll run you back because I was sure his owner would be calling for him. No such luck. I saw a lady with her granddaughter getting out of a car near where I thought I picked up this dog. She knew where he belonged and agreed to return him. She even knew his name and went with her without even looking back.
It reminded me of when I was hiking on the Isle of Iona in Scotland. A German boy, a Canadian girl, and me. A farm dog started following us and was determined that he just had to be with us. All day. We hiked, he ran ahead and waited, or followed. Run off to an open field and come back. On the way back to our B&B the dog separated and went back to his farm as if he did this all the time.
1 comment:
I remember a night run at Umstead where you almost stepped on a snake! Dogs= no worry snakes= worry
Post a Comment