Monday, February 1, 2010

Itchy and Stuffy

We're all snowed/iced in here in NC.  School was closed today and probably will be again tomorrow.  But work must go on!  So picture me trying desperately to listen to a conference call, sending instant messages to a co-worker so she could speak for both of us, and having to change a dirty diaper.  (Yeah, my SuperMom cape is at the dry cleaners.)  As I'm changing Travis' diaper I notice a huge welt covering the top of each thigh and another on his calf.  My first instinct is to not put him back in the pants he had on, just in case he was allergic to cotton flannel all of a sudden.  After my call ends, I contact the doctor.  With the weather they don't have much else going on apparently because there was an opening in 20 minutes.
I glide my low profile tires through the slush out of our neighborhood.  I park the car, hopefully between two correct lines.
The doctor says it is probably an allergic reaction, but not a contact reaction.  So the cotton flannel is probably okay.  Who knows what he didn't like.  His diet has been mostly bland since the stomach bug is still mildly running its course.  We may never know.  Or it could even be a reaction to the virus that was the stomach bug.  Fabulous.  She suggested a course of Benadryl every 6 hours - which could make him drowsy or off the walls bonkers.
Since we didn't have any children's Benadryl on hand and I can't pass up a Target opportunity, off we went to the magical store that has everything.
We glided back home through the slush.  I made it into the driveway and spun my tires.  I backed up and tried again.  Then I phoned my Yankee husband to pull up the driveway for me.  Driving in winter mess is one of his strengths.  He was determined, seriously.  20 tries at least.  Up, back out, try again.  Sometimes starting further down the street to build up speed and try a new path.  My car is almost in its spot, but not quite.
Travis took his first dose of Benadryl and was down for the count in less than 20 minutes.  Hooray - no off the walls bonkers reaction.  He napped for a couple of hours and woke up with more hives.  It spread to one arm, and his lower back.  The one on his cheek makes him look especially pathetic.  He'll get another dose at bedtime.  According to my mother and the internet, this could go on for a while.  And can go away and come back whenever it wants.
Not to be outdone, Nicholas wants people to know his nose is stuffy and hurts.  So to be fair and equitable I had to tell you about that too.

No comments: