Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What is that?!

I saw this guy or gal this morning in my bathroom. Of course I freaked, "OMG, what the heck is that?!" Quickly finished up my business as it scurried in my direction. I almost caught it under a cup but chickened out.



After some helpful Google-ing I felt better. Still creeped out and sure that hundreds of them are on the floor right now, but at least I am educated. I did work up the courage to go back with my camera. The bug had found a hiding place, so I had to get a picture from the internet.

The answer to the bug's identity - (drumroll) - This is a common house centipede. From the guy at What's that Bug? and the entomologist at University of GA - they are handy to have around.

See text below:

[These centipedes are nocturnal hunters. They hide in dark, damp places during the day and come out at night to catch insects. Because they're so shy, you seldom see them unless they fall into the sink or bathtub and can't get out.

What should you do if you encounter one of these strange creatures skittering around your house? Walk away and leave it alone. It will run and hide.

House centipedes are harmless to you and your family. In fact, they're your allies, providing free pest control.

If you just find it too freaky and don't want it in your home anyway, just cover it with a glass, slip a piece of cardboard underneath it, then take it outside and release it. To keep it from returning, use a dehumidifier to dry out your house. That will make it an inhospitable place to house centipedes.]

1 comment:

erica said...

I'm totally sympathizing with your mini freakout. I do not mix well with bugs in the house. And I've ALWAYS chickened out with the cup. =)