Sometimes you have to be your own cheerleader. Toot your own horn. You can't count on other people to do it for you. A lot of people know all that I accomplished last year. I want to write it down so I can look back it later and be like, "wow, I did all that."
I tried really, really hard to break two hours in the half marathon. It was a lofty goal. My coach helped me with a training plan that was very specific. His wife paced me in my first attempt. Too bad we live in a swamp called NC. It was early spring and I wasn't ready for the humidity. I came close, frustratingly close. In the end it was a huge PR (personal record), so that is worth the recognition.
At work I interviewed for a new position while completely burned out on the job role I was in. I waited patiently forever until that magical and fateful day. I got the new job in a new organization and even better, my BFF got it too. The transition period stretched on but it was worth it. A slight pay raise, new team, less stress, and work I like doing.
At the beginning of the summer I planned my fall races. I knew I wanted another ultramarathon and I didn't want to race on the roads anymore, ever. The world of trail races is awesome. Runners are low key, volunteers rock, and the scenery of a good trail can't be beat. I set out to train for Triple Lakes 40. It was going to be hours and hours of solo training. Luckily I convinced a friend, see above coach's wife, to join me. She twisted the arm of two other friends. Yes, it took a long time to finish (I will post the full report soon.). Would I do it again? Definitely. The trail was beautiful that day and I really pushed myself beyond what I thought was possible.
Feeling strong and confident about my career and my running makes me feel capable to take on the rest of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment