Sunday was like any other day. Ran some errands to Target, Trader Joe's, Henry's Gelato. You know the usual places. I always get inspired by Trader Joe's. It's a small store with neat food. I saw pub cheese. Well of course that could go with pretzels, pita chips, veggies, lots of things. I went for the cheddar with horseradish. I love horseradish. Yum. I went home and tried it with pretzels. Awesome! I think birds chirped and angels sang. It was so good. Who knows if I ate one serving or two. And who cared, right?
My stomach hurt a little but I ate dinner even though I wasn't entirely hungry. It was just some penne with spinach, halved grape tomatoes, and fresh mozz. Nothing outlandish.
Stomach still hurt. By the time I went to bed I knew what was happening. It's happened before. Gall bladder attack. Nice. Of course I had forgotten all about the pub cheese by this point. So just like previous attacks I didn't know what was causing it. But it usually passed after 4 hours. I could just ride it out. I slept for a few hours. Hmm, still riding it out. Lots of tossing and turning to no relief.
Finally morning came. Ugh. I could hardly stand up and felt nauseous. I called the message center for my doctor to see if I should go to the ER or wait for them to open. (By the way, they never called me back, ever.) I was miserable. It had been 12 hours of constant pain with no end in sight. Screw it, I'm going to the ER. I wanted the pain gone. I called my work. Adrian took Nicholas up to day camp. Then dropped me off at the ER while he took Travis to daycare. He came back to the hospital to sit with me and play Plants vs. Zombies on his iPad.
The nurse started an IV, the doctor ordered pain medicine. It seemed like forever for it to start working. I was miserable through the ultrasound. The tech took forever scanning around. While I waited for someone to wheel me back to the ER, the medicine started working. Once the pain was gone I realized how hungry I was. Like a huge pit in my stomach gnawing away at my insides. I thought about how I could get food in the ER. Do they let you do that? And then I fell asleep. I woke up and was wheeled back to curtain #4. Adrian probably made it through several levels of his game while I was away.
Finally the doctor returned. Self-diagnosis confirmed. Gall bladder bad. Many stones and pretty inflamed. Surgery required soon. No fat or dairy until surgery. I was discharged with a referral to a surgeon to call that day.
Ahh, home to my comfy couch. I ordered Jimmy John's online. Vegetarian sub with no fun - I mean no mayo, avocado spread, or cheese. So yeah, cucumber, sprouts, tomatoes on some bread. It was still food and got the job done.
Let me tell you, no fat or dairy is pretty lame. Grapefruit for breakfast, applesauce and pretzels for snacks, Clif mini bars for dinner. I did make fried rice with egg whites, bland but okay. It's definitely not a diet to follow by choice in my opinion.
I saw the surgeon yesterday afternoon. Apparently I make him nervous. I feel bad, I don't think you're supposed to make them nervous. The pain should have subsided but it hadn't. It hurt to move around. Or lay on my side. He wanted to take it out before anything serious happened.
I haven't had anything to eat or drink since I went to bed last night. Good golly, I am hungry and thirsty. As I drove Nicholas to day camp all the bagel and coffee places taunted me. It was sad. All of my jewelry and nail polish are off. I'm wearing my glasses. I am bored and hungry and thirsty.
Soon I will go check in to the hospital. I get to spend the night and it's still outpatient. My surgeon prefers to have people stay as long as possible in case they need more meds and to make sure they can eat more than just a popsicle. Hey, I'm okay with a night away from home. The boys will have a lot of fun eating Happy Meals and watching movies. Yumm, french fries. Did I mention I'm hungry?
I'll be home tomorrow and off work until the middle of next week. I am hoping for a good surgery and a quick recovery. This is putting a dent in my training plan. I've got a half marathon in November and a coach who has me in a 2 hour time slot for it. Geez.
Please think of me during all of this. And I will be thinking of bagels, french fries, buffalo wings, burritos, iced coffee, gelato, and running a lot. I am so hungry and thirsty right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment