Sunday, June 15, 2008

Big Family Saturday

Saturday started off with the kids packed up and a diaper bag stuffed with all the necessities. First stop was Panera in Cary to eat breakfast with another family. Adrian coached all 3 of their sons over the years. Now the youngest son is graduating from high school. The theme of breakfast was a hand-off of legendary lacrosse from one family of boys to another. This included a helmet decorated with all the teams Adrian has coached, and all the teams their boys played on. It was a very nice touch. The added bonus, I got to see how much food grown boys can eat, and I think their parents enjoyed seeing our young boys.
Next on our road trip was W-S. We arrived in town while my mom was still working out at the Y, so we made a side trip to Ken's Bike Shop to pass time. Adrian went in to "look around". I ended up having to take the boys to my mom's house before she returned. An urgent bathroom break and diaper change were needed. This left Adrian completely unattended and you know what that means. He picked out a pre-owned cross over bike (it can go on and off road). Travis and I went back to get him and left Nicholas with my mom. After the new bike was on the rack, which he also bought, Adrian leaned over to pick something up and "rrriiippp!!". The fabric in his shorts completely gave way. Not a small tear and not along a seam. Seeing as we didn't pack a change of clothes for him, an emergency shopping trip had to be done. Using my vague memories of that side of town, we found Burlington Coat Factory. I ran in, found an affordable pair of cargo shorts in his size that included a belt, and checked out. Back to my mom's house...
We hung out for a while, admired the remodeled kitchen, and went to my sister Lorre's house. She was hosting the semi-annual family gathering. A small thunderstorm delayed the grills so we ate a little later. It was still a lot of fun to see everyone and how much they have grown since Thanksgiving 2007. Nicholas ran around and played with some of the younger cousins. Travis was a typical baby, didn't want to nap, wanted to be held by his parents, and had some floor time with a few toys. Adrian and I socialized with grown ups. Nicholas and Travis got to see 11 out of 13 cousins and I got to see 6 out of 8 siblings. Not a bad tally, I'd say.
We made our way back home. The boys easily transitioned from car sleep to bed sleep (easily means in comparison to previous attempts).

No comments: